What is FSSAI?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an organization established under the Food Safety and Standards Act,2006 to maintain the safety and quality of food items for the benefit of consumers. FSSAI set standards for hygiene and safety to ensure safe and quality food in any food business.
FSSAI Registration is a 14-digit registration number printed on food packages. This registration is mandatory for every food business operator involved in any activity related to food items such as processing, manufacturing, storage, or sale of food products. Therefore, every food item in India must have a FSSAI logo and registration number on its packet. Also, as per the rules and regulations of FSSAI, all the restaurants enlisted on online food aggregator apps must display their registration number provided by FSSAI on the apps. Failure to provide registration number on the apps will lead to de-listing of such restaurants from the apps.
Types of FSSAI Registration:
Depending upon various factors such as annual turnover of the Food Business or installed capacity, location and premises, FSSAI registration is classified into 3 categories:
- Central License for large scale food business is mandatory for such food business operators whose annual turnover is more than 20 crore. It is issued by the government in association with the Ministry of Health and Family affairs. Also, if a restaurant has multiple branches across the multiple states, the owners of such restaurant must obtain a central license for the main branch or head office of the restaurant.
- State License for medium scale food business, i.e. food business owners whose annual turnover is within the range of 12 Lakh to 20 Crore. This registration is issued by the State Government.
- FSSAI Basic Registration for very small scale food businesses whose annual turnover is less than INR 12 Lakh. This registration is also issued by the State Government.
The above licenses are valid for a period of 1 to 5 years and the FSSAI registration must be renewed by the food businesses before the said validity expires.
Documents required for registration:
Depending on the annual turnover and type of license, the following documents must be submitted in order to successfully apply for FSSAI registration.
- Signed and Completed FORM-B for state and central license.
- Signed and completed FORM-A for Basic FSSAI registration.
- Photo Identity Proof and address proof of the Food Business Owner.
- PAN Card and passport size photograph of FBO.
- Articles of Association or Certificate of incorporation.
- List of food item to be traded and plan to be adopted for the safety of food.
Besides these, several other documents may be required as per the type of registration process.
Procedure of registration:
FSSAI registration process can be completed online on the official site of FSSAI for licensing and registration system. The steps to complete the registration process are briefly described below:
- On the home page of FSSAI site (https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in), click on sign up option.
- Accept the declaration and select the state and category of your business and click on proceed.
- A sign-up form will appear. Enter the required details and click on register to complete the sign-up process.
- A message will be received on the registered mobile number and e-mail id after the account is successfully created.
- Now the details can be filled in the online application Form A (for petty businesses) or Form B (for medium and large scale businesses) along with all the necessary documents that are required to be uploaded.
- After reviewing the form and documents, click on submit and an application reference number will appear on the screen that can be used to track the status of the application for registration.
- If the application is accepted, the department will grant a registration certificate with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
Looking for FSSAI registration help ?