GST RFD-01A form is introduced for online processing of refund under GST. It is required to be filed electronically on the GST portal. It is to be filled and filed accordingly with the department for claiming such refunds or any amount paid by mistake or the excess of amount lying in cash ledger. However, a refund can be claimed only if the amount is showed in the GST returns of the relevant tax period.
The applicant needs to be very careful while furnishing the values in form GST RFD 01 A form as no rectification is allowed after filling of the form. Further, the applicant should make sure that he has filed GSTR-1 and GSTR-3B for all the tax periods for which the refund has to be claimed. He should have exported goods or services on account of which he is claiming ITC refund. GST RFD 01A form can be filed on a monthly or quarterly basis. A person can file a nil refund form as well as not a nil refund form.
Procedure to file the GST RFD-01A Forms
The procedure for filing both the forms on GST portal is as follows:
For GST RFD-01A nil refund:
1) Log in to GST portal and under ‘services’ tab, select ‘refunds’ and click on application for refund type. Select the refund type and month or quarter of filing and click on create option.
2) A dialog box regarding confirmation of the period to file nil refund will appear. Click on ‘ok’ to confirm.
3) A new screen will be displayed after clicking on ‘YES’ button that will ensure the correctness and validity of the information entered by the user. The option of back, file with DSC and file with EVC will be available.
4) File the nil refund form with either DSC or EVC.
5) The filed application can be viewed by the user under ‘saved or filed applications’ tab once the form is successfully filed.
For not filing a GST RFD-01A nil refund form:
1) Login to your account on GST portal, go to ‘services’ and then application for refund type. Select the ‘create’ tab and select tax period for which the application is to be filed.
2) After clicking on the create tab, a window will appear asking for whether you want to file a nil refund form. Select the option ‘no’.
3) Thereafter, the following image will be displayed on the screen.
4). From the uppermost right corner, download the offline utility table and fill all the mandatory details required to be entered therein like GSTIN, the period of the return, taxes paid, details of invoice of outward supplies, and then click on ‘validate sheet’ option to correct any error. Click on ‘create file’ to upload and save the file.
5). Fill the details of invoices of outward supplies in case refund is claimed by the supplier and on the screen that appears, click on “Click here to Upload” to upload the file.
6). Next, click on ‘validate statement’ option.
7). A dialog box appears to fill the refund amount claimed. Fill the appropriate amount.
8). Enter your bank account number in which you will like to get your refund amount deposited.
9). Upload the required documents in the prescribed format.
10). Click on ‘save’ button.
11). Submit option will be enabled now.
12). Click on ‘preview’ to view your application before submitting it.
13). Click on ‘submit’ to have your refund form filed with DSC or EVC.
14). A refund application can be viewed by the user under saved or filed applications option.