Form 26AS is the tax credit statement which is a very useful document, required for filing the tax. The information of Form 26 AS can be imported directly, while filing the Income Tax Returns. Let us understand about the Form 26 AS and how to download it.
What is Form 26 AS?
It is the details of tax collected by the collectors
Self-assessment of tax payment
It contains the details of the high value transaction related to shares, mutual funds and so on.
Details of advance tax paid by the taxpayer
Refund received by the tax payer during the financial year
It is also important to understand different parts of the Form 26AS. The form usually consists of seven broad categories. These categories are:
Part A – Details of TDS
Part B – Tax collected at source
Part C – Tax Paid
Part D – Details of Paid Refund
Part E – AIR transactions
Part F – Tax deducted on sale of immovable property under section 194 IA
Part G – TDS default
Process of downloading the Form 26 AS
- Login on the https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in with your credentials. For those who do not have an account need to register first.
- After logging in, enter PAN number, password and date of birth/ date of incorporation in the DD/MM/YY format. It would prompt for Captcha code. Enter the code and login. Thereafter, enter PAN e filing website.
- On the next up screen, go to My account. Click on view 26AS in the drop down and view form 26 AS.
- Click the ‘confirm’ tab after which you would be directed to the TRACES website. TRACES website would look like this.
- On the TRACES website, select the box on the screen and click Proceed which would migrate you to the TRACES TDS-CPC website.
- On the TRACES website, click the link given below the page which reads ‘ Click View tax Credit to view Form 26AS.
- Select the assessment year in addition to the format which you find suitable to see the Form 26 A-S. In case you want to see the form online, leave the format as HTML. For those who want to keep the manual form can download it in PDF format. Once the choice has been made, enter the ‘Verification code’ and press the ‘View/Download’. Button
- For opening the document, one needs to enter the password. Password for Form 26AS would be the date of birth in DDMMYY.