How to file the Income tax return without Form 16?

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Salaried Individual need to have the Form 16 from the employer before filing the income tax return. It is the duty of the employer to furnish the form 16 to every employee. However, there are some cases wherein the employer has not given the Form 16 to the employee. In such cases however, the employee does not need to fear for not getting the form 16 because it is possible to fill the income tax return.

Before panicking, you need to understand what the Form 16 is? The Form 16 is basically a TDS certificate and the total taxable income. There are few things need to calculate the taxable income. They are:

  • Deductions
  • Payslips to calculate the Taxable Income
  • Tax Credit/ 26-AS to calculate the exact amount deducted as Tax
  • Claiming the deductions
  • Income from other sources
  • Paying the additional tax when required
  • Finally, file the income tax return

ITR without Form 16

Taxable Income through payslips – Calculate the net salary from the payslips obtained from the employer in the financial year. In case you have changed more than one job during the financial year, the payslips should be included from all the employers for who you have worked.

Tax Credit. 26- AS Form – After calculating the TDS by the employer, you would need to match it with the 26AS form. In case there is some mismatch, the next step should be contacting the employer and asking him to fix the error.

Calculate the HRA  living on rent – Employees who are living on the rent ask for HRA deduction from the employer. In order to claim the deduction, the employer would need the receipt to the payroll department in advance. However, in case you did not submit the slip to the HRA department in time, you can claim the deductions while filing. Take help of an expert in case you have not idea as how to show the deductions.

Deductions – There are certain investments made by an individual that are tax deductible. Before filing, all the investment documents should be with you and the exact amount eligible for the deduction under section 80C should also be known. Certain investments such as Employee Provident fund, Public Provident Fund, Life Insurance come under 80C.

When you are claiming the deduction on the Provident Fund, claim the deductions only the contribution made by you in the PF and not the employer’s contribution.

Income from other sources – You should also collect the income earned from other sources and calculate it under the taxable income. Such income could be anything from interest on the Fixed deposit to the rent from the owned property.

Transport and medical allowances – If you are getting the transport and medical allowances, the exemption limit is up to Rs 34,200 – Medical allowances limit 15,000 and Transport allowances limit of 19,200 annually for the computation of Income tax.

File the ITR – Once you have paid the extra tax if any then file the income tax return online.

Looking to file your tax return visit or call 09902977233


About Author

An MBA in finance, I like to cover the wide range of topics related to Taxation, SEBI, Finance and anything that is Public Helpful. The motive is always to make it simpler for the taxpayers understand the system better and take informed decisions.

Leave A Reply