Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Central Government to the Indian Citizens. The whole process is managed by the UIDAI and there are various services for which having an Aadhaar card is mandatory. However, every now and then we come across the new development when it comes to Aadhaar Card and it become a little challenging to keep track of the services that can be availed without Aadhaar Card and ones where the card is important.
Honorable Supreme Court has stated that government cannot be stopped from using the Aadhaar identification for using its non-welfare schemes such as opening banks, verification of new and existing mobile payments and user credentials among others. However, the Supreme Court also made it clear that Aadhaar cannot be made mandatory for the welfare schemes.
Keeping in consideration the directions of Supreme Court, Government listed the services where the Aadhaar Card was made mandatory to avail it. Here is the list provided by the Government.
- Aadhaar Card is mandatory for the supplementary nutrition program.
- For the farmers who want to avail for the crop insurance benefits and all those who are eligible for the subsidized food grains/ cash subsidy for the same
- Beedi/Iron Ore/ limestone workers who want to avail the subsidy
- Individual who wants to avail benefit of the welfare scheme under the Integrated Child development
- To avail benefits under Grih Kalyan Kendra Scheme
- For support under National Mission for Empowerment of Women and for the Scheme for Adolescent women, students who want to apply for Central Scholarship and financial support under National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship.
- For e-panchayat training benefits and for the students who want to apply for central scholarships at the college level.
- To avail the benefit of Soil Health management Scheme and Soil Health Card Scheme.
- For Supplementary meals at creches.
- To avail maternity benefit programme and Intgrated Child Protection Scheme
- To avail vocational training, loans and other schemes
- Benefits for water and social services that come under the scope of Aadhaar Card
- Mid Day meal and the cook-cum-helpers earning from the scheme should also register with Aadhaar Card.
- To avail the benefits under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan by the disabled children between 6-14 years.
- Disabled students availing benefits under National Action Plan for Skill Training of Persons with disabilities.
- Bhopal Gas tragedy victims to avail the compensation from government.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana for women below poverty line.
- Mandatory for the compensation and benefits to individuals under Bonded Labour Rehabilitation Scheme.
- Mandatory to file the Income Tax Return or applying for PAN.
However, recently the Central Government has stated that citizens do not need to furnish their Aadhaar Card for getting the new SIM. Telecom companies are also directed to accept other documents instead of asking for Aadhaar Card.