Digital Signature Certificate is used for the authentication of the users on the GST Portal. It is one of the three methods used for the authorization. Other two methods are Electronic Signature and Electronic Verification Code. DSC is nothing but the digital version of the physical certificates which can be furnished as online proof of an individual’s identity. DSC is predominantly used to establish the identity of an individual during the filing of the GST.
What are the Pre-requisites?
There are few things that should be kept in handy before starting the process of obtaining a DSC. These are:
- Software to make the installed DSC available for use on the GST portal)
- DSC USB Token
- DSC Software on the PC (You need to download the DSC client installer from the DSC Registration page of the GST portal)
How to get DSC?
DSC can be obtained from any certifying authority in the country. All, an individual needs to do is to fill in the application form and attach the relevant documents required. There has also to be a fee paid for obtaining the DSC. DSCs can be granted by certifying authorities because they have a license under Section 24 of the Indian IT-Act, 2000. Class 2 or Class 3 certificates can be obtained from any of the following authorities:
- N Code Solutions
- Capricorn CA
- SafeScrypt CA Services, Sify Communications Ltd.
Who Can Use DSC?
|Hindu Undivided Family||Karta|
|Trust registration||Managing Trustee|
|LLP / Company||Authorized signatories, with due authorization from the LLP / board of the company|
|Society, club||Authorized signatories, with due authorization from the management committee|
|Statutory body||Authorized Signatories|
|Local authority||Authorized Signatories|
|Government department||Authorized Signatories|
Procedure to register DSC on GST Portal:-
To register your DSC with the GST Portal, perform the following steps:
- Access the https://www.gst.gov.in/ URL. The GST Home page is displayed.
For New Registration:
- Click the REGISTER NOW link.
- Select the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) option.
- In the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) field, enter the TRN received.
- Click the PROCEED button.
- Enter the OTP received on the mobile number and the e-mail address. Keep in mind that OTP is valid only for 10 minutes.
Both mobile number and e-mail address get the same OTP
If the OPT is invalid, click on resend the OTP link. Again the OTP is sent to the registered mobile number or the e-mail ID. Enter the new received OTP.
- Click the PROCEED button
Click the Services > User Services > Register / Update DSC command.
In case of Existing Registration:
- Login to the GST Portal with valid credentials.
- Go to My Profile link.
- Click the Register/ Update DSClink
- The registered DCS page would appear and there would be a PAN of Authorized Signatory drop-down list, from which select the PAN of the authorized Signatory that must be registered.
- Select the I have downloaded and installed the signer checkbox.
- Click the PROCEED button.
Select the certificate. Click the Sign button.
A successful message that “Your DSC has been successfully registered” is displayed.