GST consists a special provision of filing for the non residents under GSTR 5 form. The form is now available and any non-resident taxpayers and the dealers who have come for a limited time to make supplies in India can file. Since the products are normally imported to make local supplies , such dealers can avail the benefit of Input tax credit on IGST on imports. Before understanding the procedure of filing the GSTR 5, it is important to get a hold some important question. Two important inquiries which emerge out of the discussion are:
- Who is a non-resident foreign taxpayer
- How can they register
- Is the registration temporary or are they given permanent status
A non resident taxpayer is an individual who sporadically does a transaction involving the supply of goods and services or both. He makes those transactions wither as principal or agent. He can also make the transaction in any other capacity but would not have a fixed place for business in India and neither the residence. All those non-resident foreign taxpayers who do not reside in India but occasionally make transactions, supply goods for a short period of time are liable to pay the tax.
What Are the Prerequisites ?
- Individual should be a non resident foreign taxpayer who does not have any business establishment in India.
- He should have temporary GST registration for the period during which the business has to be carried in India
Procedure To File GSTR -5
1.Visit www.gst.gov.in URL
- Login to the GST Portal with the credentials
- Click theServices > Returns > Returns Dashboardcommand.
Alternatively, you can also click the Returns Dashboard link on the Dashboard.
4.On the File Returns page, select the Financial Year&Return Filing Period (Month) for which the return has to be filed.
5. Click the SEARCH button
- Click the Prepare ONLINE button to prepare the return by making entries on the GST Portal
- Generate GSTR Summary by clicking the GENERATE GSTR5 SUMMARY button on the GSTR-5 – Return for Non-resident taxable person page. The details about the auto drafted supplies of goods &services page would be displayed.
Check out for the conformation message on the top of the page. Thereafter, you can check the status
8- Enter the Details in the Import of Good Tiles
9 – Enter the Details in Outward Supplies Tile
10 – Enter the Details in the B2C(large) Invoices
Under the last three heads there would be many subheads which should be filled by the taxpayer
11.Thereafter, Preview of the GSTR 5 filing can be accessed by clicking on Preview button. Upon Clicking the Button GSTR-5 summary page would open which can be downloaded and reviewed. The PDF file will have watermark of draft as the details are yet to be submitted.
- Tick the Acknowledgement check-box which states that the tax payer has reviewed the information and finds it to be correct.
Once the Submit button is Clicked, no changes can be made.