An Individual who has wrongly filed the Income Tax return, can re-file it with necessary modification. This process is called revised return. Revised return can be filed in there is a valid mistake such ass omission of any important entry or addition of the same. Those who forgot to mention any particular source of income or want to make changes in any other statement can file revised return. The omission of wrong statement should be unintentional. Return filed, responding to the notice under section 148, for the assessment of the escaped income can also be modified, given that all the provision of section 139 will apply over such returns.
Income Tax return is bound to that particular year and forms are also different for AY 2015-16 and AY 2016-17. Upon filing the return, the assessment year form of that year should be used. For instance, assessment year for financial year 2015-16 is AY 2016-17 and the form of AY2016-17 should be used. A revised return can be filed only if the individual has filed the Income tax return within the due date. One can file the original return under section 139(1) and if the return is filed after the due date, then it cannot be revised and will be classified under belated return.
One can file the revised return before one year is passed from the end of the assessment year or before the completion of assessment, whichever is earlier. Under section 139(5) revised return cannot be filed in case the return is processed.
Procedure of Filing a Revised Return
Under section 139(5) before filing the revised return you should have:
- Receipt No of Original Return
- Date of Submission of Original Return
in case, you want to get the above mentioned credentials from the tax e-filing website:
Click ‘View Return’ – All the returns will be displayed that are filed electronically. There will be acknowledgement number as well as filing date mentioned.
- Look for the modifications to be made in the original return
- Log on to h t t p s: // i n c o m e t a x i n d i a e f i l i n g . g o v .i n /
- File a return like done earlier and correct or modify the issues that existed
- Go to Filing Status, Part- A General
- Select R-Revised under Whether original or revised return
- Select Revised 139(5) under Return filed under section
- Enter the E-filing acknowledgement receipt number from the ITR-V provided to the Individual who filed the original return.
- Click on Submit once the data is complete and a new ITR-V revised return will be generated.
- After, receiving the ITR-V form, both the original and revised return should be sent to IT Department in Bangalore within 120 days.
Difference between Return and Rectification
Both are similar concepts but not the same. Rectification in the Income tax return can be done after processing of return has been done or after getting intimation under section 143(1). The intimation is sent after the order is furnished by the Income Tax Department.
Recently Income tax department has observed many have started depositing cash in excess of their known source of income but some are planning to avail back dated bill in purchasing Gold and other valuable and planning to amend returns but department is closely watching such income tax amendments and such amended tax returns may be called for scrutiny by Department, which department feels suspicious.