DIGILOCKER is the facility started by the government where one can store e-documents along with the Uniform resource identifier (URI). The e-sign facility offered under this system can be used to sign the document digitally. The Digilocker can be accessed through the website www.digilocker.gov.in.
Every individual can register for digilocker through Aadhar card and can get 10 MB of free space. This space can be used to store the documents and various links of the documents issued by different agencies and government. Government is working towards expanding the space of digilocker to 1GB.
Benefits of DIGILOCKER
- It will reduce the use of physical documents and all important documents will safely be stored online
- Safe access to the documents issued by the government and bring down the cost borne by government departments and agencies
There are few major components of DIGILOCKER that one can access after login. These components are
Dashboard – The first page displayed after the login and contains summary of all the documents
Uploaded Documents – This section will contain all the documents that are uploaded by the user. These documents can be updated, shared and can be e-signed
Issued Documents – The section consists of the documents that have been issued by the government departments or other agencies.
Shared Documents – The section consists of the documents that that the user has shared with other through email.
Activity – All the activity performed by the user are shown in this document.
Government has made sure that DIGILOCKER is a safe place where user can save his all important document. The application uses security features like 256 bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption and timed logout.
Process Of DIGILOCKER Registration
- Those who are already registered can access the account by entering their credentials. First time visitors can register through mobile number.
- Thereafter an OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered. On entering that OTP in the blank space, the individual will need to set username and password. Aadhar Card is a must and also the mobile number should be registered with Aadhar number.
- If the number has been changed for some reason then make sure that the new number is registered. You can do this by visiting any Aadhar UIDAI Centre.
- Previously, there used to be a tab where one needed to enter the Aadhar number but the recent website has a tab asking Aadhar number. There are two options for verification post entering the Aadhar Number.
- The system will ask the you to verify through fingerprint or enter the OTP received on the Aadhar linked mobile number.
- Once the OTP is verified, user will be asked to create username and password. Aadhar number can also be verified by verifying the fingerprint and the result will be the same.
- After verification through fingerprint or OTP, create the username and password for the DIGILOCKER account. Thereafter, press the signup button. Once the account for DIGILOCKER has been created, dashboard application will appear on the screen.