Student visa in India terms | Can Student visa holder work in India?

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +
Student visa in India terms:


Q.1 Can foreign students study in India?
A. Yes, they can.
Q.2 Can foreign students come on Tourist Visa to explore admission in  some courses/institutes and get Student Visa while in India?
A. No. In order to enable the foreign students to explore various options to study in India, he/she can apply for provisional Student Visa of 6 months duration from Indian Mission abroad and once he/she gets the
confirmed admission while in India, he/she can apply for a Student Visa to the local FRRO/FRO along with necessary documentary evidences of  confirmed admission, financial standing etc.
Q.3 Can foreign students get a Student Visa directly from Indian Missions abroad?
A. Yes, they can provided they have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognized institute in India.
Q.4 What is the duration of Student Visa?
A. Student Visa can be of 5 years or for the duration of the course whichever is earlier.
Q.5 What are the formalities that foreign students should do on arrival?
A. Foreign students holding Student Visa of more than 180 days are required to register himself/herself with the local FRRO/FRO within 14 days of arrival.
Q.6 Is there any restriction on the number of courses that a foreign student can pursue?
A. No. However, the overall band of the Student Visa regime cannot exceed more than 5 years.
Q.7 Can a foreign student change the course or institute or both while in India?
A. Yes, but with the permission of the local FRRO/FRO and the Institute(s) concerned and subject to no adverse activity.
Q.8 Is any approval/NOC required from any other Ministry or Department for technical courses?
A. So far as admission to diploma/degree/post-graduate degree in engineering and Technology, Architecture & Town Planning, Pharmacy, Applied Arts, MBA, MCA, Hotel Management & Catering Technology are
concerned, there is no requirement of NOC from MHRD. However, with respect to courses in medical or para-military courses, NOC from M/o Health will be required.
Q.9 Can Student Visa be extended on the ground of clearing supplementaries?
A. Yes, provided the concerned university/institute permits and suitable documentary evidences to this effect are submitted to the local FRRO/FRO.
Q.10 What a foreign student should do for extension of his/her Student Visa?
A. He/she should approach the local FRRO/FRO with bonafide certificate, proof of adequate financial standing etc.
Q.11 How may ‘entries’ are allowed to foreign students?
A. Normally one entry. However, on bonafide reasons, a foreign student can apply for additional entries at Visa Facilitation Centre, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi – 110003.

About Author is a trusted financial blog with over 23 years of expertise, dedicated to offering invaluable insights and resources to tax professionals, taxpayers, and the general public in managing their day-to-day financial activities. We embrace guest authors, enriching our platform with diverse perspectives and expertise in relevant subjects.

Leave A Reply