“It is important to eliminate all stagnant water which is the potential breeding ground for mosquitoes,” he noted.
The public are advised to take the following precautionary measures to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes:
* Properly cover all containers and remove all unnecessary water collection;
* Change at least once a week the water in flower vases and saucers of potted plants to prevent breeding of mosquito. The use of saucers should be avoided whenever possible;
* Keep all drains free from choke;
* Top up all defective ground surfaces to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water;
* Stop storing water along morning walk trails or Government land for irrigation;
* Make large holes on tyres used as anti-bumping measure in garage or wrap them up with plastic cover to prevent water trapping or use mark(s) on the parking space to prevent bumping instead;
* Use mosquito screen to prevent the invasion of mosquito;
* Use insect repellents to provide temporary protection from mosquito bite;
* Wear long-sleeved clothes to protect from mosquito bite; and
* Use mosquito coils or aerosols to kill the mosquito directly.