Return filed under section

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Every tax filer will have a common question on what to choose in the drop down as “Return filed under section” we have 5 options correct?

11 – u/s 139(1)
12 – u/s 139(4)
13 – u/s 142(1)
14 – u/s 148
15 – u/s 153A

which one to choose and what they mean?

11 – u/s 139(1): Voluntarily before the due date (This is the one you need to choose now)
12 – u/s 139(4):Voluntarily after the due date
13 – u/s 142(1): In response to notice under section 142(1)
14 – u/s 148 : In response to notice under section 148 14
15 – u/s 153A:In response to notice under section 153A 15

File your tax return for free 2013 Julu 31st last date….


About Author is a trusted financial blog with over 23 years of expertise, dedicated to offering invaluable insights and resources to tax professionals, taxpayers, and the general public in managing their day-to-day financial activities. We embrace guest authors, enriching our platform with diverse perspectives and expertise in relevant subjects.


  1. @anmol
    139(5) If any person, having furnished a return under sub-section (1), or in pursuance of a notice issued under sub-section (1) of section 142, discovers any omission or any wrong statement therein, he may furnish a revised return at any time before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier :..”

  2. Thanks a lot for this post. I filed the return online for the first time and it helped me a lot…Thanks again

  3. Hi,
    I had filed a return online under sec 11 – u/s 139(1), and later found that there was an error on TDS (SL. No 23 & 25 "duplication") according to which the IT will have to refund me but that is not the case. I have not paid anything in excess, hence neither I have to pay nor the IT has to refund me.

    Please suggest me as how to file a revised return and under what section.



  4. Hi. I have filed the return online and received the verification. However, I have realized two things: 1) I filed the return from US but have entered the place as New Delhi, the place from which I shall be physically posting the IRV form after getting back next week and 2) I accidently checked TDS employer type as Govt. whereas it should have been PSU.

    The US ip address shows up in IRV form, the employer type does not. Do I need to refile the returns ?

    Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

  5. @Unknown You can still amend your return and file it again. You can change the TDS category and Location and IP address willnot be a problem. You can also you digital signature which doenot require you to send hard copy as well.

Leave A Reply